Smile campaign post production diary

 

In postproduction I began by gathering all my clips onto premiere pro by using Google Drive as I had filmed all of my clips on my iphone 11. After this I used and MP3 downloader to download my song I would be using in the background of my advert which is heavenly father by Bon Iver. Once I began editing I used effects such as exponential fade which would help me gradually bring up the music at the beginning of the ad along with using the affect film dissolve which left me fade from black my beginning video clip. I believe this feed from black using the film dissolve is better than the video just starting with the clip unedited as it gives it more of a professional looking ad as it lets the viewer slowly into the ad along with the slow music.


Whilst editing at some point in the edit having no diagenetic sound felt weird and A natural to watch so for the clips of me sitting down at my table you can hear my chair squeak and when I type on the keyboard you can hear the typing not louder than the music but just enough that you understand better what’s going on due to the diagenetic sound.

Also there is a scene where people get thrown at a wall to show the characters stress. These clips alone weren’t emotional enough due to the sound not contributing everything to the actions on screen so I  went to YouTube and downloaded a stock low boom sound. This sound effect made the paper hitting the wall and the frustration of the main character better to experience and helps the viewer understand the characters mindset. 

The transition I had planned out in storyboards was planned to be a match cut but in postproduction as I was editing I decided that A quick fade was better for this transition the way I achieve this was very simple as I Put the clips side-by-side and put a film dissolve in the middle of the two clips.

After getting some feedback from my classmate I decided to try my best to colour grade my filmed shots to help building a static for the add and help invoking emotion more on the side of stressful or hopeless instead of bright and colourful. As I am not too experienced in colour grading I decided to use one of premiere pro‘s input LUT which is called ‘ARRI_Universal_DCI’ I believe this LUT helps accentuate the bright colours I wanted and also darken the black backgrounds to make the character look alone in the dark.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Smile campaign cast and crew

Smile campaign rationale